Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Our baby is 5!

I've felt weepy all day as I sit in awe looking at our son. Five years old! Where has the time gone?? Words cannot express the pride I feel as I watch Sawyer grow into a sweet, caring, sensitive (albeit VERY goofy) little boy. It is hard to believe that he is the same wild man we couldn't force to sit still not so long ago. His neverending curiosity continues to amaze us; he has learned to focus his energy into many different things (not just running wild). He is the best big brother around! Here are some things I remember about Sawyer's first 5 years of life:
  • When I found out I was pregnant with Sawyer, I was so excited that my leg wouldn't stop bouncing!
  • Being able to eat A LOT whenever and wherever I wanted to while I was pregnant!
  • The first ultra sound - seeing that precious heartbeat and knowing that you were for real!
  • Finding out at the 20 week ultrasound that the extra leg we saw was not a leg...you were a little boy!
  • FREAKING with WORRY about having a little boy...I've NEVER had anything to do with little boys...EVER!!
  • Going to Europe and on a cruise during my pregnancy. You were a very well-traveled baby even before your birth!
  • Daddy making me go to the hospital 4 weeks before your due date just because I was having pains spaced 2 minutes apart. I thought they were going to send us home! You were born 2 hours later! :o)
  • Telling dad to stay away from me while I was in labor because he was stinky! (He didn't have a chance to take a shower after he got home from work!)
  • Dad pulling the emergency cord to get me out of the whirlpool bath. 5 nurses came running thinking that I was going to deliver you in the tub!
  • Hearing your sweet cry for the first time.
  • Hearing Grandma Dani whaling outside my hospital room door.
  • Seeing how little you were!
  • Watching you grow; seeing you roll over at 2ish weeks old; seeing you sit, crawl, walk.
  • Singing to you while you were riding in the backseat.
  • Auntie Tina's visit. Going to Mackinac Island in October!
  • Your first Christmas.
  • Going to Florida. Taking you to the doctor while we were there...twice!
  • The look on your face when you saw daddy coming off the plane in Florida.
  • Neutropenia
  • Going to UW Children's Hospital for a bone marrow aspiration.
  • The feeling of relief when we knew you were going to be OK.
  • Reading books to you.
  • 9/11 - Wanting to protect you from the world.
  • Visiting Auntie Tina and Uncle Steve in California. Coming out of the closet combing your hair in San Francisco. LONG car rides at 3:00 in the morning to try to get you to sleep!
  • Having seemingly long, complex conversations with you when you were very little.
  • Starting daycare; meeting Miss Nicole.
  • Moving into our apartment; moving into our new house 3 months later.
  • Dreading going ANYWHERE with you that required staying over night; you were a TERRIBLE sleeper ANYWHERE except your own bed.
  • Telling you about Tatey.
  • Seeing your expressions as my belly grew with Tatey. Talking to you about being a big brother. We knew you would be an awesome big brother.
  • Introducing you to Tate. You were so proud to wear your big brother t-shirt!
  • Seeing you interact with your little brother. You tried to be so gentle!
  • Uncle Davey and Auntie Laurie's wedding. No explanation necessary.
  • The ride home from Uncle Davey and Auntie Laurie's wedding. Left a bad taste in Daddy's mouth.
  • Going to Disney for the second time. You were soooooo excited! (& kinda naughty, too!)
  • Telling you about your sister. Discussing adoption and where she was coming from.
  • Starting 4K. Crying because I couldn't be there on your first day to see you cry.
  • Your Christmas program.
  • Swimming lessons; Gymnastics; Karate
  • Showing you Sofia's referral pictures. Talking about our trip to bring her home. Trusting that you would be man of the house while we were gone.
  • Talking to you on the phone while we were in China.
  • Seeing you in the airport in Green Bay and introducing you to your little mei mei. You have always been so gentle with her!
  • Your welcome home posters.
  • Tatey being sick.
  • Getting your report cards that confirmed to us what we already know; you are a good friend; you are a genius; the teacher wishes there were more of you to go around.
  • Being in utter disbelief that your dad and I were capable of producing an especially sweet little boy like you.
  • T-ball social hours.

We are so proud of you Sawyer! We have enjoyed watching you grow up every step of the way! Can't wait to enjoy many, many more years!

Love, Mum

1 comment:

Bonnie, Clyde, Bubba Jr. & Charleigh-Jo said...

What a sweet list! My little guy is almost 5. I'm like you. I can't believe it's been 5 years. Just blinked my eyes and he's standing there in his backpack waiting to head to school... major sigh...

You're pictures are great, what a beautiful trio you have!

B